Chelsea will this afternoon hope to keep their run of four wins in a row going as they welcome Everton to Stamford Bridge. The Blues haven’t conceded a goal in the Premier League in over a month which is remarkable after the shocking performances against Liverpool and Arsenal back in September.
Only one team in Europe's top 5 leagues didn't concede a single league goal in the month of October.
That team was Chelsea. 🐸☕️ pic.twitter.com/jgaJkOAlx4
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) October 31, 2016
Conte’s side find themselves in fourth place in the Premier League, just one point off leaders Man City. This is down to the new formation (3-4-3) introduced by manager Conte. He’s decided to go with the formation that’s worked well for him in the past during his time with the Italian national team and Juventus, playing with just three defenders and using two wing backs.
Everton are not to far behind in sixth place playing good football, former blue Romelu Lukaku is scoring for fun so it could be a busy afternoon for the Chelsea back line. The striker return’s back to his old team joint second top scorer in the Premier League alongside Man City’s Sergio Aguero.
As reported this week, both Kurt Zouma and Marco van Ginkel are working their way back to full fitness playing for the development squad. It’s a little to soon to see either of these feature today. Cesc Fabregas still has a thigh problem.
📸 Training today. All set for Everton tomorrow… 💪 pic.twitter.com/MtxBqYEV24
— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) November 4, 2016
PREDICTED LINE UPS
Chelsea are very unlikely to change from their recent winning formula, with the only possible replacement being Willian for Pedro on the right-wing.
Chelsea: Thibaut Courtois, Cesar Azpilicueta, David Luiz, Gary Cahill, Marcos Alonso, Victor Moses, Nemanja Matic, N’Golo Kante, Pedro, Eden Hazard, Diego Costa
Everton: Maarten Stekelenburg, Phil Jagielka, Ashley Williams, Ramiro Funes Mori, Bryan Oviedo, Gareth Barry, TomCleverley, Seamus Coleman, Gerard Deulofeu, Yannick Bolasie, Romelu Lukaku
“Lukaku is a very good player, young and improving a lot, but it’s right to talk about my players. I’m very satisfied with my players. I hope Diego continues in this way because his commitment is incredible.”
Conte praises his team's workrate both with the ball and without the ball. He says the confidence is increasing. #CFC
— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) October 30, 2016
Who can forget the 3-3 draw at Stamford Bridge in this fixture last season! John Terry scoring a 98th-minute equalizer to earn Chelsea a point in a thrilling game against Everton.
KEY MATCH FACTS
- Chelsea are unbeaten in their last 21 home Premier League games against Everton since a 0-1 loss in November 1994 (W11 D10). Only against Tottenham (24) are they on a longer unbeaten Premier League run at Stamford Bridge.
- John Terry rescued a point for Chelsea in this exact fixture last season, scoring after 97:53 minutes to make it 3-3 – the latest goal recorded in the Premier League in 2015-16.
- Everton have scored exactly three goals in three of their last four Premier League meetings with Chelsea, failing to score in the other (W1 D1 L2).
- Chelsea have exactly double the number of points (22) that they had after 10 Premier League games last season (11).
- Chelsea have kept four consecutive Premier League clean sheets for the first time since August 2010 (a run of six).
- Diego Costa has scored three goals and assisted one more in his three Premier League games against Everton. He was also sent off in the FA Cup game against the Toffees last season, however.
- Diego Costa has now scored 40 goals in the Premier League and was the 6th quickest player to reach this tally in the competition (64 apps).
- Eden Hazard has scored more Premier League goals this season (five in 10 apps) than he managed in the whole of 2015-16 (four in 31 apps).
- Belgian forward Hazard has scored in three consecutive Premier League games for the first time in his career. In fact, he has never scored in four successive league games before (Premier League and Ligue 1 combined).
CAN I WATCH IT ON TV?
I think Chelsea can make it five wins a row this afternoon, the way Lukaku is playing for Everton it may be difficult to keep a clean sheet.
Chelsea 1-0 Everton