Two days on, and most Chelsea fans are still buzzing after the team’s defeat of West Ham on Monday evening.
The Blues earned a deserved win thanks to a late Diego Costa goal, with Eden Hazard having opened the scoring from the penalty spot.
Most of the positivity stems from an outstanding team performance, and here we give our own verdict on how the team fared with our player ratings.
- Thibaut Courtois – 5 – almost entirely unemployed thanks to an insipid West Ham display, the big Belgian did what he needed to, though he had no chance of stopping James Collins’ thunderbolt.
- Branislav Ivanovic – 7 – after all the flack he copped for a series of horror performances last season, it was great to see Branislav back to his marauding best at right-back. Almost scored, but for a terrific Adrian save.
- John Terry – 7 – imperious at the back, he gave Andy Carroll nothing to feed on. Started several attacks with positive dribbles out from the back: classic John Terry. As good as ever!
- Gary Cahill – 5 – one or two shaky moments suggest defensive reinforcements may still be required, though Cahill was largely solid enough against a staid attack.
- Cesar Azpilicueta – 7 – superb both at the back and going forward, he won the spot-kick which put the Blues ahead. Noticeably pushed higher up than pitch than under Mourinho or Hiddink.
- N’Golo Kanté – 6 – his every tackle and touch was cheered and he instigated attack after attack with sublime simplicity. This man could be a massive player for us this season.
- Oscar – 8 – tenacious and industrious, this workman-like performance is exactly what Antonio Conte will expect every game from the tireless Brazilian.
- Willian – 6 – there were glimpses of his talent, but, one free-kick apart, his dead ball deliveries were somewhat lacking. Needs to work on his corner kicks – beat the first man, Willy!
- Nemanja Matic – 7 – another who endured a torrid season, the big Serbian looked to be back to his best. He broke up attack after attack and showed good attacking intent, too.
- Eden Hazard – 8 – superb. The Belgian needs to be more decisive in the final third, but took his goal well. A constant threat throughout and he continued his superb form the Euros with another top display.
- Diego Costa – 7 – might he have been sent off? There’s a case for it, but, either way, his goal secured a deserved win and he was tireless all night. His strike was worthy of winning any game.
Who do you think was our best player on Monday night? With our betting partner https://matchbook.com/ you can bet on our upcoming visit to Watford this coming Saturday. Will the Blues better their shower against the Hammers and claim another three points?
One thing to notice was the intensity with which the Blues played as they tried to undo a disciplined defence. With no European football to contend with, these performances can be expected more frequently this season.