Chelsea will be looking to get back to winning ways after Saturdays shock 2-1 home defeat to Crystal Palace.
The Blues face a tricky test at Stamford Bridge against Man City, a win could effectively end City’s title hopes and put Chelsea in a great position going into the final games of the season.
Saturday’s result leaves Conte’s side seven points above Spurs, who face Swansea at the Liberty Stadium. Chelsea are favourites for the title as it stand, should they lose the gap could be cut back to four points and suddenly the title race looks wide open again.
— Premier League (@premierleague) April 4, 2017
Chelsea haven’t lost consecutive Premier League matches at Stamford Bridge since November 2011 when Andre Villas Boas was in charge of the club. Current boss Antonio Conte has not lost successive club league games since he was manager of Atalanta in November 2009.
Victor Moses looks likely to miss the game once again due to a calf injury, this means Pedro should start in the right-wing back position.
Fabregas should also keep his place in the team at the expense of Matic, who was poor against Palace. Other than Moses, Conte should have his entire squad to call upon.
For Man City Pablo Zabaleta is likely to return to right-back after Jesus Navas deputised in there 2-2 draw at Arsenal at the weekend.
Bacary Sagna is a doubt again with a groin strain and injured duo Ilkay Gundogan and Jesus Navas are Guardiola’s long-term absentees.
Predicted Line Ups
Chelsea: Courtois; Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill; Pedro, Kante, Matic, Alonso; Willian, Costa, Hazard.
Man City: Caballero; Navas, Stones, Kolarov, Clichy; Fernandinho; Sterling, De Bruyne, Silva, Sane; Aguero.
December saw one of the Premier League games of the season, a 3-1 win at the Etihad for Chelsea. A Gary Cahill own goal gave City the lead in the first half, Chelsea responded with three second-half goals to take the points. At this point it was there eighth-straight win.
“I think we didn’t deserve to lose the game against Crystal Palace but football is wonderful also for this type of result. It’s normal that with 27 points available anything can happen in the league, but we are in a really good position.”
“Chelsea deserve where they are. They won an amount of points and winning an amount of games in a row. It is another game, nine left, we have to take points as much as possible and after we will see.”
The bookies have Chelsea down as favourites to pick up all three points in this one, priced at 27/20. Manchester City can be backed at 11/5 to upset the league leaders. The draw is available at 12/5. (Prices from Bet on Brazil – odds may fluctuate).
- Chelsea haven’t lost back-to-back home league games vs the Citizens since December 1983.
- Pep Guardiola has never previously lost both league games against a single opponent in a season as a manager in his career so far.
- After winning eight Premier League games in a row against Manchester City between 2005 and 2009, the Blues have won just five of their last 15 against them in the top-flight (D3 L7).
- There have been four red cards in the last five league meetings between these sides, with three being shown to Man City players.
- Sergio Aguero scored a hat-trick in this exact fixture last season as City won 3-0 – one of just three opposing players to hit a treble in a Premier League game at Stamford Bridge (Kanu in October 1999 and Robin van Persie in October 2011).
- Sergio Aguero has scored six Premier League goals against Chelsea, with four of those coming at Stamford Bridge.
- Antonio Conte hasn’t lost consecutive home league defeats as a manager since November 2009 while in charge of Atalanta.
- Chelsea haven’t lost back to back Premier League games at Stamford Bridge since November 2011 under Andre Villas-Boas.
- Manchester City have lost just one of their last six Premier League games in London (W3 D2).
- Kevin De Bruyne has now assisted 13 goals this season for Man City in all competitions, one more than he managed last season.
Can i watch the match?
Chelsea haven’t lost back-to-back home games in the league for more than five years. They also haven’t kept a clean-sheet in the league since the Hull City game on 22nd January so i can see the opposition scoring.
Man City have not gone four games without a win in the league yet under Guardiola so something has to give.
Chelsea 1-1 Manchester City