It’s the international break, which usually means some time off for club football fans. But Chelsea fans are so hyped up about their season, that they’re actually watching every moment. Here are five things they might be picking out this week:
- Mason’s progress – Mason Mount got his first England cap against Bulgaria after a bright start to the season with Chelsea, and Blues fans will hope to see him start against Kosovo tomorrow.
- Emerson issue – Emerson Palmieri went off hurt against Finland last night, and while it’s later been played down, it will be a tense wait to see how one of our standout players this season recovers.
- Jorginho leading – Emerson’s international teammate Jorginho scored a penalty in that game, and is increasingly showing himself to be a real leader for his national team. Blues fans are watching with interest as he tries to impose himself on the Premier League in the same way.
- Rudiger injury – The biggest hole in this team so far this season has been at centre-back, and after a couple of weeks in training, Antonio Rudiger is expected to be back after this break.
- Giroud’s race – Olivier Giroud has his work cut out displacing Tammy Abraham from Frank Lampard’s lineup, but he’s made the right start this week with a goal for France. A few more of those and Frank will have some serious decisions to make.
All of these questions will affect Frank Lampard’s team selection next year, and we’re all excited to see what happens in the next few days of this early season break. They may not be Chelsea matches, but they will all have an effect on our next lineup.