This is a fixture will be remembered for Steven Gerrard’s slip in 2014, which gifted Demba Ba a goal as Chelsea ran out 2-0 winners at Anfield ruining Liverpool’s chances of a first Premier League title.
Five years on and the blues find themselves in a similar situation, again having the chance to have a big impact on the rest of Liverpool’s season.
Sarri made seven changes for the blues Europa League win against Slavia Prague on Thursday and will recall a number of key players to the starting XI.
Most notably Callum Hudson-Odoi who played no part midweek, Chelsea fans will be hoping to see him back in the starting line up alongside Eden Hazard who came on as a second half substitute.
Emerson Palmieri will be assessed because he is carrying a knock, apart from that Sarri has a full selection of first-team players to choose from.
Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Van Dijk, Robertson; Henderson, Fabinho, Keita; Salah, Firmino, Mane
Kepa; Azpilicueta, Rudiger, Luiz, Emerson; Kante, Jorginho, Loftus-Cheek; Hudson-Odoi, Higuain, Hazard
The blues are currently priced at 9/2 (5.50) with bet 365 to take all three points and potentially destroy Liverpool’s title hopes. Alternatively you can take advantage of the bookies free bets and try and land yourself a winner.
Liverpool go in the game as clear favourites having not lost none of their last 37 league matches on home turf, and are priced at 8/13 (1.62)
Four of the last five meetings between the pair at Anfield have resulted in a draw, and you can get odds of 3/1 (4.00) on this one also finishing up all square.
- Chelsea have only lost twice in their last 16 meetings with Liverpool in all competitions (W6 D8), though both of those defeats came at Stamford Bridge. The Blues’ last defeat at Anfield came back in May 2012 in the Premier League (1-4).
- Chelsea have already won away at Liverpool this season, beating them 2-1 in the Carabao Cup. They’ve never won twice at Anfield within the same season, with Arsenal in 2006-07 the last side to do so against Liverpool.
- Chelsea have lost their last five Premier League away games against fellow ‘big six’ opponents, including all three this season by an aggregate score of 1-11. However, the Blues have won three of their last four away league games against sides starting the day top, including a 2-0 victory at Anfield in April 2014.
- Chelsea have won three Premier League games in a row for the first time since September 2018, when they won their first five matches in the competition under Maurizio Sarri.
- Chelsea’s Eden Hazard has had a hand in more goals than any other Premier League player this season (28 – 16 goals and 12 assists). The only league season in which the Belgian has been involved in more goals was in 2011/12 with Ligue 1 club Lille (36).